Evpatoria classic winery
The winery was founded
This was the year when production facility had been founded on the basis of wine cellars of Karaim winetrader Yufud Kokush.
The Evpatoria's archive has
a guide-book around Crimea, dated by 1912,
with the advertisement of wine trader Kokush:
of south shore wines, Bazarnaya street
Wine: White table wine, Red table wine, Port wine,
Muscat Lunel, Malaga, Bordeaux, Muscat-juice, Muscat dry,
Church wine, Tokaj, Riesling, Marcel
Bazarnaya street preserved its trade purpose during the Soviet Era. However, after yet another Communist party congress in December 1927 the dusk of New Economic Policy started. It meant collectivization for villages. For the cities it meant the erradication of prvivate-owned business.
Evpatoria went along with its country. Trade artels had been thriving in the city, however in 1928 the citizens were already experiencing the shortage of goods. City records of that time show total desertion of Bazarnaya street – it had lost its purpose as a trade center. The stores were closed due to goods shortage. The city records dated by 1928 contain the following statement: «the demand for table wine is increased, but there is no sufficient supply from the wine manufacturers».
Fate of the winery
Between 1941-45 much of the industry of Evpatoria was destroyed, Evpatoria winery however remained standing, albeit very damaged. There even were remained 44 thousand liters of pre-war wine in Kokush cellars! The vineyard, however was rendered useless almost completely…
Due to neecessity to develop its manufacturing process correctly from the very beginning of its existence Evpatoria winery expanded its territory. Between 1945 and 1960 the new cellar, new bottling facility amd new storage on Bazarnaya street were built, new storeys were built too, but it did not prove to be sufficient to accomodate the rate of growth of the winery. Therefore, starting from 1960, the winery had been working on creating new production complex. In 1972 году Evpatoria vinery had finished the spacier (according to the standards of current time) production complex, which was referred to by workers as the Head facility, on the same place where the winery stands nowadays. With the launch of the new production facility, the bottling in the city center had stopped and the old production facility was removed.
During its entire existence after the war, during 1950-80-ies, the winery had a major role in the economy of the city. Winery sustained catastrophical damage due to infamous antialcohol campaign of 1985-1986, when the winery almost completely stopped the production of grape wine. In fifteen years after these events and during the turbulent 90-ies the winery workers were struggling for survival.
The backbone of the Evatoria winery's professionals had been working here for decades. Many technologists came to work here right upon graduating from universities and did not switch jobs, while experiencing and sharing the history of the winery. Few dozens veterans of production have been working here for 30-40 years and many of them remained loyal to the winery even during difficult 90-ies, while working not so much for a salary, but for the winery to survive.
Rebirth of Evpatoria winery
The winery rebirth came in 2002 along with the strategic investor. This event became a major milestone for the company: production facilities were rebuilt and modernized, own raw material source was increased, the new vineyards were planted and innovation became one of the top priorities of the winery.
During the last 15 years the company has been evolving into a powerful production complex.
Production facility makes high-quality Crimean wine with each production stage being under strict control.
Therefore today, while choosing the products of Evpatoria winery the consumer may be assured that the choice is given to a high-quality natural wine.